Make your business more energy efficient and reduce your power bills with the small business energy efficiency grants. These grants are available to small businesses with a turnover under $10 million a year. These grants will enable support equipment upgrades designed to reduce energy consumption, monitoring systems to better manage energy use, and energy audits to investigate other opportunities for energy efficient activities.
These grants are offered through the Australian Government’s Energy Efficient Communities Program. You can find more information about this here: https://www.energy.gov.au/government-priorities/energy-programs/energy-efficient-communities-program
What is the aim of the program?
The program aims to help businesses in reducing their energy consumption in order to lower their power bills through:
- Equipment upgrades designed to reduce energy consumption.
- Investment into energy and emissions monitoring to better manage and reduce energy use.
- The completion of energy systems assessments to the Australian Standard or feasibility studies to investigate energy efficiency opportunities.
- For community organisations, energy generation and storage projects such as solar photovoltaic generator systems and batteries.
Who is eligible for the program?
Under the business stream the following types of applicants will be eligible:
- Licensed dairy farming businesses
- Small businesses with an annual turnover less that $10 million a year
- High energy-using businesses who consume over 0.05 petajoules per year.
Community organisations are also eligible for these grants including:
- Incorporated not-for-profit community groups such as, Men’s Sheds, community owned kindergartens, welfare centres, community centres, women’s associations, Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander community groups, and more.
- Country fire authorities and rural fire services.
- Those that have been invited by the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources to apply.
Full details around eligibility and how to apply will be specified on a round by round basis when applications open.
How much are the grants?
The amount you can receive from the grant varies between business types. The divisions are as follows:
- Small businesses and dairy farming businesses can apply for up to $20,000 from the grant with no co-contribution required.
- High energy-using businesses can apply for a grant of up to $25,000 with a matching co-contribution required.
- Community organisations can apply for a grant of up to $12,500 with no co-contribution required.
When do the grants open?
The grant has been open for applications since the 6th of July 2020. They will remain open for businesses and community groups until the 26th of August 2020. If you are looking to reduce your energy bills and emissions, this grant is a great opportunity to get started, so apply as soon as you can.
For businesses who were considering improving their energy efficiency in order to reduce energy costs, this grant could really sweeten the deal. With energy bills consistently rising, it may be a good ide to take this opportunity to give your business greater control over energy costs. We recommend that you reach out to us if you want specific advise as to whether this grant is right for your business.
Apply as soon as possible, as funding is limited. You can apply for the application and find further details here: https://business.gov.au/Grants-and-Programs/Energy-Efficient-Communities-Program-Small-Business